[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

633CSI trailer hitch

I also have a 1983 633CSI.  Does anyone have a trailer hitch for this?  I
know, not a good idea, but I will only occasionally pull a light trailer
with a light load around town.  Thanks!

<<<<<

I have a trailer hitch on my 635CSi.  You get some REALLY odd
hitch on a 6 series.  The dealer says "can't do it", and the parts
stores don't have any pre-made units that fit it.  A lot of people
respond with "why would you want to do that?".

I finally went to a shop that does custom hitches and after the
usual "why would you want to do that?" response, we got down to
business and they put one in for me.  It cost about $120 (I'm in
Southern California) and it works fine.  I would recommend getting
the type of hitch with the removable ball assembly.  When not
using it, you can replace the ball with a suitably colored "plug"
that cleans up the look of the car.  The only down side to
installing it was that they had to cut a hole in the trim panel
under the rear bumper, but there is no way around that.

As far as how it works, it works fine.  It is very secure, there
is plenty of good steel under the back of the car to mount the
hitch hardware to and the electrical connections come right off of
the rear lights.  I had mine wired with the electrical connections
in the trunk on a cable that I can just bring out when I need it
and the rest of the time, it is completely hidden behind the
carpet panels at the rear of the trunk.

My car at least (635CSi) has plenty of power and torque to pull a
2,000 pound trailer.  I generally don't even slow down going up
the steepest of hills.  If you are familiar with Southern
California, I can go over the "grape vine" (Highway 5 to San
Francisco) at 65-80 in both directions with no problems and no
overheating.

Don Mies