[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 525I door panel

> I have a 1991 525I with about 35,000 miles on it.  The black vinyl on the
> left rear door is coming unglued from the armrest and above.  I had a
> local upholstry shop reglue it but it has come loose again.

When I picked up my '91 E34 it had the same problems.  I had the PO pay
to have it fixed and he called a friend who specialized in these
things.  What he did (of _course_ I watched!) was to pull off the
cardboard thingy (technical term) with vinyl that is pasted just above
the armrest.  With that off he took a razor blade and slashed some
diagonal cuts through the vinyl underneath it.  This took the strain off
the vinyl and allowed him to glue it back.  He used a fancy two part
glue and did lots of smoothing as it went down causing the slashes to
open up quite a bit.  After the underneath vinyl was secure he reglued
the cardboard thingy (TT).  I haven't had any problems, noone has
noticed the slight wrinkles (too busy hanging on?) and I have no
complaints.  I don't subject this car to too much heat as it goes from
my garage to other covered parking whenever possible, but I think this
would hold anyway.

- --
Pat Donahue
Vienna, VA