[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: <E36> 328i Coolant Loss

Mike,

A similar event occured with our then new '95 325i.  Sometime before 10k
miles, the low coolant sensor tripped and would go out as the car warmed up
and the reservoir filled back up.  I topped it off and haven't had a problem
since.  The car is now at 30K miles.

BTW, I've really enjoyed our 325i and can say its been the best overall new
car purchase I've made.

Regards,
        Mike

>From: Michel Gammon <jmgammon@domain.elided>
>Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 20:51:51 -0400
>Subject: <E36> 328i Coolant Loss
>
>Fellow digesters,
>
>I may have hit my first significant snag with my 328i in 15,000 km (9500
>miles). As our mornings started getting a bit cooler, mid-August, my Check
>Function would say "Low Coolant Level", on the first start in the morning.
>It only stays on, while the engine runs, for about 10-20 seconds or so.  My
>guess is that once the engine heats up, the coolant expands and the sensor
>no longer senses a low level.  It never reappears throughout the day.
>
>I see no evidence in my driveway of obvious coolant loss.  I popped into a
>BMW dealer which was conveniently located on my way home from a business
>trip, and the service tech donated a little coolant (not bad since I didn't
>buy the car there).  I'll dilute it to the proper 60/40 ratio and add it
>tomorrow morning to see if this works.  He says if it recurs, I should have
>the car checked for coolant leaks.
>
>Anybody else have this problem?  I drive the car hard (but did respect the
>break-in period), with many drives like today's involving long stretches at
>170+ km/hr (about  110 mph), and lots of runs up to redline while overtaking
>on two-lane country roads.  The temp gauge so far has never budged off its
>normal position about midway up the scale, and the car has never needed oil
>between changes.  Any clues?  I once had a Merkur XR4Ti which routinely lost
>coolant. Never caused problems, as long as you topped it up.  We had it
>checked, and it appeared to be related to the plumbing from the turbo (but a
>permanent fix was never found), but obviously this can't be the problem with
>the 328i.  Any similar experiences?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Mike Gammon
>1996 328i 5-speed

Kim & Mike Hood-Douda	Raindance Farm  "Goats & BMWs...living
raindance@domain.elided	Lacomb, Oregon   in harmony!"