[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:more K&N

> One 'fact' I didn't mention, is how great an exposed filter (without
>     an airbox like most K & N filters are installed) flows water when you
>     drive thru a puddle and splash water into the engine bay. Rare, but It
>     can happen.
Actually, this can happen quite easily with the stock box and filter! Ask
my insurance company how they know. This happened to me in water that was
only ankle deep, driving at a very slow speed. My "safer" airbox turned
into a garden hose and the connecting rods into paperweights. I do not
think it would have happened with an "open" set-up (a simple baffle set
up like a heat shield would suffice-if you need more than that you have
more serious problems to think about).

FWIW, due to lack of some hard facts, this is turning into a pissing
contest...next topic please.

John Darwak
'85 325e/i (many mods and yes, a K&N filter in the stock free-flow airbox)