From: tmoody@domain.elided (Tony Moody - listed)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 96 13:16:55 EDT
Subject: 96 or 97 M3

Hi,

There has been alot of traffic on this list regarding the changes to the new
M3s, what they include and when they are expected.  Hopefully my recent
experience can help.

After reading in a few car mags that the "new" M3 would include ASC as
standard, I rushed out to order one and turn in my Saab 900 SE Turbo Coupe.

The car I just :-) (!!!!!!! 3 glorious days !!!!!!!!) took delivery of is a
brand spanking new M3 Lux (Techno Violet/Magma), loaded but wingless.
Differences in it from the prior year include:
- - -different size wheels front to rear
- - -ASC standard
- - -computerized AC
- - -slightly more/nicer leather on the regular M3
- - -3.2L engine with similar power (earlier delivery) and slightly more torque
(also earlier delivery)
- - -there may be other changes I'm not familiar with

I don't see ANY cosmetic changes and the transmission is a 5 speed, not a 6.

Mine seems to be the "new" M3 I read alot about on this list. However, it was
delivered as a 1996 model, not a 97.  I know this because
a) the dealer told me
and
b) my insurance company (the dreaded Allstate) said it couldn't be a 97 as
they hadn't received any info from BMW regarding 97s.

Anyway, hope this info helps.  The good news is, the car is PHENOMENAL!

TM