[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

removing cosmoline/automanual trannies

re: removing cosmoline

A few digesters have recently asked about methods to remove the cosmoline
which is applied to the cars for shipping.

I posed the same question to the list after I took delivery of my car and
was told:

- - Z**** (a certain mfg of boutique car care products based in CT) makes a
product called Strik which is designed to remove cosmoline

- - some sort of pressure/heat/steam cleaning device

- - ammonia

The best bet is to ask the dealer prep guys for their recommendation; they
probably do a fair amount of this removal in the course of their work.

However, I was also cautioned that removing the cosmoline would eventually
lead to pitting and oxidation of bare aluminum surfaces over time, which
would probably look worse than the original cosmoline.  Unless your engine
is absolutely drenched with the stuff (the thicker coats will eventually
turn brown), IMHO I would leave the coating intact, at least on the
aluminum surfaces.  This option has worked for me.  YMMV

/////////

re: automanual trannies

Those who are interested in the new M-sequential tranmission should pick up
the Sept. issue of CAR magazine (with the Ferrari on the cover).  There is
also a brief article on Ferrari's developments in this area.

One must remember that there are many differences between all the new
automanuals that have been introduced in recent years.

The Tiptronic (Porsche/Audi), Autostick (Chrysler) and Switchlogic (BMW)
systems are basically just your conventional electro-hydraulic automatic
transmissions, with torque-converters and manual electronic controls.

The M-sequential (BMW) and Sensonic (Saab) use actual manual gearboxes with
electronically actuated clutches (and gear selection, too, in the BMW).

According to all the impressions I've read thus far, these systems are just
in their infancy in terms of development and still leave somethig to be
desired.

Hopefully, this will help to clear up some confusion for some people and
head off any apples vs. oranges comparision that will arise.

cheers,
hc