[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Snows for 45-Series radials

Can you go narrower without going Minus1 or Minus2 (in other words are the
tires available)? Just make sure you don't change the rolling radius more than
3% or it'll screw up the ABS and the computer. Here's some ideas:
(see http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi to try some other combinations)

235/45-17

    Sidewall: 4.2 in
    Radius: 12.7 in
    Diameter: 25.3 in
    Circumference: 79.6 in
    Revolutions per mile: 796

225/45-17

    Sidewall: 4.0 in
    Radius: 12.5 in
    Diameter: 25.0 in
    Circumference: 78.5 in
    Revolutions per mile: 808
    Difference: -1.4%

225/50-17

    Sidewall: 4.4 in
    Radius: 12.9 in
    Diameter: 25.9 in
    Circumference: 81.2 in
    Revolutions per mile: 780
    Difference: 2.1%

225/55-16

    Sidewall: 4.9 in
    Radius: 12.9 in
    Diameter: 25.7 in
    Circumference: 80.9 in
    Revolutions per mile: 783
    Difference: 1.6%

Maybe get a set of steel rims or used aluminum rims which are narrower so you
don't have to mess with the good aluminum rims in the salt/sand which can cause
havoc with aluminum rims. I am originally from CT and the salt wrecked the
aluminum rims where the weights were clamped onto the wheel (broke through the
seal) on my other car after just 1 winter!

I believe the whole idea behind a snow tire is that narrower is better, besides a
really good snow tire, not all season, on _ALL_ 4, not just the rears! I ran 4
Gislavid Frosts on my Firebird (195/70R-14) and I NEVER got stuck anywhere,
including snow over a foot! Firebirds are notorisouly terrible in the snow because
the rear end is so light. There is no substitute for a good pure snow tire IMHO.

Check with the TireRack and see what they list as a fitment for the car.

Or even better, get a beater car for the winter.

I wonder what people in Europe or Canada do for wheels/tires on cars for the winter?
Anybody out there have any ideas?

Regards,

Kim Watters
E34/'95/530i/5-speed