[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Protective covering remo

Assuming that the cosmoline (SP?) BMW uses is the same stuff that they use to
preserve military equipment  (e.g. new rifles packed for shippment/delivery)
- -  Boiling hot water/steam is one method, just be careful that the hot
water/steam doesn't get applied to to electrical or heat sensitive (plastic)
parts and connectors.

Another solution - NOT AT ALL RECOMMENDED, repeat NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!  IS
GASOLINE.  The reason I bring this up at all is that if gasoline will take the
stuff off, there are other similar solvents that are safer to use that should
also do the job. Some of the solvents sold by CRC for cleaning brakes or for
cleaning electric motors/components may do the job.  You are looking for a
solvent with grease cutting characteristics similar to gasoline that is non
flamible, non toxic, ecologically safe, and affordable - a tough set of
simultaneous criteria!  Maybe engine or parts de-greaser?

Personally, I do wonder why you would want to remove the cosmoline in the
first place.  I have usually found it on the underbody or other places out of
sight.  It is a very good preservative, and the way it is usually applied, it
gets into all the tiny cracks and crevices and seals out moisture preventing
rust (thats why new rifles "mil spec" packed come [or at least used to come]
throughly impregnated with the stuff - so nothing will rust - ever, until it
is removed).  I have read that the way the army gets the stuff off is by
immersing the parts in boiling water.

Harvey