[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Synthetic Oil

Hello Folks!
I'm sure this one's been kicked around before, but here goes...
I've used Castrol sythetic oil for the past several years with good
results.  When I used regular oil, I changed it every 3,000 miles
because that's about how long it was supposed to take for the
lubricating properties to break down from heat, pressure, etc.
Now I change the oil/filter every 5,000 since the synthetic stuff never
breaks down and looks about as clean after 3,000 or even 5,000 miles as
when it was new.  (Some synthetic oil manufacturers claim you can leave
it in for 15,000 miles or more but that seems a little much.)
My question is:  Does anyone know (or think, or just plain guess) any
long-term reasons for not using the synthetic stuff in my Bimmer?

TIA (which also means ti-active, i.e. 318tia   :) )

D. Stephen Metz
Portland, OR
Two (2) Alpine White 318ti's