[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CD Changer Compatibility w/'96 E36

Now that I have my new 318ti, I want to add a CD Changer to it...  I'm hoping to put it into the glovebox
since I had one in the trunk of my alst car a didn't like to space it took up as well as how it seemed to
get beaten up by the contents of the trunk affecting it's performance.  I called around to a couple of
shops here in the Los Angeles area and everyone says that since about mid '95, you can't put an
aftermarket changer into a Bimmer because the connection is proprietary and there it no adapter for it.  I
want to get an aftermarket changer from Alpine because the new models are for more advanced (for
quality and size) than the 5-year-old model that is the OEM version...

SO, I have a couple of questions...

1)  Has anyone successfully installed an aftermarket changer in a '96 318ti (or other non-HK soundsystem
equiped) car using the factory deck???
2)  For those who have installed the OEM BMW/Alpine unit, does it use two seperate cables (one for data
and one for power)???

Thanks for your advice in advance...

Dave