[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> radar detectors

ngfirmin@domain.elided (WHO???) wrote
>Hi there!
>I'm planning on purchasing a radar detector, but don't have a clue to which
>one to purchase!
>I'd like your suggestions!
>Many thanks in advance!
>FN.

Okay, a couple of hints...

radar detectors come in many different flavours:
X band, K band
Ka band - regular or super wideband
undetectable or not
road hazard emergency signal detection
laser detection - front only, or front and rear
cordless, regular plug in, or remote
cheap or expensive ( less than $50 up to ~$400+ (us) )

*and* depending on *where* you live they may or may not be illegal and
the police might use only certain methods of speed enforcement.
If all they use is X band, why bother spending the $$ for a detector
with all the bells and whistles?

Some general opinions seem to be that:
- -The Valentine 1 is probably the best (and most expensive) bet
- -The Bel detectors are a close second
- -there are *many* others that might fit the bill.
- -technology is changing all the time.. the 'best' six months ago might
be bottom of the heap now
- -digest members in the past have complained that
- --the valentine was bulky, cheaply made, and too sensitive
- --the Bel detectors falsed a lot especially in E36 cars
- -but there have also been many many happy stories of both those brands
saving someone paying a speed tax

Where I live (in Ontario Canada) detectors are illegal (and the cops
use the VG-2 detector detector) so getting an 'undetectable' detector
was a priority. My budget for such 'toys' is pretty low - $100 (us) was
about all I wanted to spend. Laser detection (IMO) is a ticket
buzzer. BUZZZ, you just got a ticket. Not worth the extra money for
me.

Looked around, at the time only the BEL ST series and the Valentine
were undetectable. Valentine was $300 + (us) and a super wideband
X,K,Ka undetectable Bel 625ST was $100. Decision made.

I've been very happy with the Bel. Very few false signals (my old
Uniden used to false a lot), small size (radar detector? what radar
detector? that lump in my pocket just means I'm happy to see you
officer :) Bel gives you many ways to mount the thing (velcro, suction
cups, visor clip, carrying case ) and I like to support a Canadian
company.

Most companies have a 1-800 number and will be happy to send you info
on their detectors.

good luck
chris pawlowicz
'89 325i