[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E-36> Remus Exhaust Installed, But . . .

My long awaited (i.e., back ordered since April) Remus exhaust finally
arrived the other day, so I rushed to a muffler shop to have it installed
on my '94 325i <E-36> convertible.  (I have an M3 rear apron on the car.)
I was told when I ordered the exhaust that the M3 rear apron air diffuser
has enough space for the exhaust tips to fit between.  Well, my Remus
exhaust has REALLY BIG dual round 90mm chrome tips, and these tips are now
snuggly placed between the open area on the apron where exhaust tips
normally protrude.  In other words, the round tips are not vertically
centered with the air diffuser like the stock M3 exhaust.  Nonetheless, the
placement of the upper portion of the chrome tips touching the very bottom
portion of the diffuser looks fine.

MY CONCERN IS THIS:  I would prefer that there be somewhat of a gap
(horizontally) between the exhaust tips and the rear apron air diffuser,
instead of being so very SNUGGLY placed.  The muffler guy suggested that I
get someone to fabricate the air diffuser (i.e., cut away part of it) so
that a gap will exist.  This is a scary thought to me because I can't
imagine how someone could modify the diffuser and still have it look good.
It looks like it's made out of plastic anyway.

QUESTION #1:  Has anyone had any experience with fitting this particular
Remus exhaust on an E-36?  If so, how did you handle the "no gap" problem?

QUESTION #2:  What can I use to remove sticky adhesive from the area where
the chrome tips blend with the black portion of the exhaust.  The exhaust
came out of the box with this 1/2 inch wide Remus logo band wrapped around
the base of each tip.  It looked to me like it was supposed to remain on
there.  But, to my surprise I found that this logo band turned into a big,
sticky mess due to the exhaust heat!  PLEASE HELP ... Will this stuff
eventually wear itself off?  If not, what can I use to safely remove it
without harming the chrome tips?

BTW, I absolutely love the sound of this exhaust.  It sounds very sporty,
but NOT at all TOO LOUD.  That's why I chose this exhaust over others, not
to mention the fact that the huge exhaust tips are mean looking.

Gerard Whitman
Deloitte & Touche Consulting Group - DRT Systems International
Installation Consultant for "GlobalAdvantage"
egw@domain.elided