[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <02> Fixing sloppy shifter

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:

>> My '74 2002 shift lever is pretty sloppy.
>
>When I rebuilt my '02 shifter, I simply replaced the original nylon cups
>and coated them with Amsoil Synthetic bearing grease. I also shimmed the
>cups (there are shims in the stock setup) to where the was very little
>play, but the shifter was still easily moved.
>Cheers,
>
>Filippo Morelli

I too had a sloppy shifter on my current 2002tii and on the one I parted
out. The problem seems to be in the bolt (8mm allen key) on drivers side
that ties shifter bracket into the rear end of the tranny. Tightened,
replaced the above mentioned nylon cups and two rubber bushings inside the
stick itself. Done and tight!

Hope this helps!

Miro

                Miro STROMAR, Calgary, Alberta CANADA
                         BMW CCA 132434
                             ______
'95 318i    Montrealblau   o/______\o   e-mail crestest@domain.elided
'73 2002tii Baikalblau     (Oo=00=oO)   Phone 403.253.5695
                            U*----*U