[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <02> Fixing sloppy shifter

> My '74 2002 shift lever is pretty sloppy.  I was thinking about taking
> $100-$150 or so and getting one of the kits I've seen mentioned here.
> Does anyone have any recommendations?  Is there a Metric Mechanic
> 'short-throw' shift kit (or am I misremembering?)?

You can spend over $100 for this stuff, or you can spend a couple of
dollars and rebuild the existing shifter. I did the latter and was very
please with the results. The throw is a little long, which is BMW standard,
BUT your synchros will love you for it.

When I rebuilt my '02 shifter, I simply replaced the original nylon cups
and coated them with Amsoil Synthetic bearing grease. I also shimmed the
cups (there are shims in the stock setup) to where the was very little
play, but the shifter was still easily moved.

This is pretty easy to do. Note, there could be wear in the shifter
assembly which enters the transmission; this is a whole different issue.
BUT, if you can grab the shifter and pull up and down and find play, what
I've described resolves that...

Cheers,

Filippo Morelli
E28 M5 (regretably for sale)