[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:Speakers of choice

From: Bob Flowers <bflowers@domain.elided>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 20:20:58 -0700
Subject: Speakers of choice

Stock speakers on my 90 325IC seem very poor.
What would be the "speakers of choice" to replace
them with, and is the stock radio OK, or that too, is it
worth replacing.  Factory system seems very
<<<<<

I'm a well balanced, clean, clear sound system kind of
guy.   Here's my ranking for good car audio speakers.
Since my experience is limited to 4" drivers, I rank
these on midrange & highs rather that bass & SPL.
For bass, I have my SAS Bazokas.

0) Get separates with good (meaning separate RLC
ckt type) crossovers!!!  Coaxials just don't compare.

1) ADS -- These are good, but pricey.  Well balanced,
crisp, clean sounds.  Good midrange.  Just too
expensive.

2) MB Quart -- As good as the ADS.  I have these in
my MR2.  Clean & clear. Great  midrange.  They tend
to sound a bit bright, but I like it.  If you can, get the
iron magnet tweezer rather than the neodyium (sp?)
one.  I think the iron magnet is much smoother &
more detailed, whereas the the neodyium is harsh.  I
think voice reproduction on these speakers is
unbelievably realistic.  Violent Femmes sound like
they're standing next to me.

3) Infinity Kappa Series -- The ribbon tweezers on this
baby are something else.  I think they're the same
ones from Infinity's $50K reference standard
speakers.  Good midrange.  Great highs (only with the
ribbon tweezers).  Good value for the money.

4) Alpine -- Just a small (and I mean small) step up
from your regular Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood stuff.
They make great hardware, but speakers---they aren't
that good.  Midrange is so so.  Highs suck!  They are
harsh, screetchy, and don't sound very good for the
price you pay.

5) Top of the line Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer  -- Just one
word, ADEQUATE.

Bass & image depends on the car's acoustic
environment and installation job.  So they vary too
much.  I evaluated (for a long time & using all my
CDs) all these speakers at the dealer.  But most
important: buy what you like, not what others say.
Cause it's you that listen to them everyday.

- -----
anthony