[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE:K&N Cone FIlter Mods

Justin Shingmin Hsu <jh89+@domain.elided> wrote:

> I have an '88 325is with the K&N cone filter. At first I was wary
>because it would be sucking in the hot air from the engine. However, I
>decided to try it and it works very well. I also have a Dinan chip and
>Ansa exhaust in it which produced only a small performance gain. The
>cone filter seemed to "wake up" the other mods, and I immediately
>noticed a significant increase in power not to mention a cool intake
>sound.

I know that several shop have done tests on the cone filter on the E30 M3,
and the expected gains at certain RPMs but not at all.  To their surprise,
it lost power in all areas.  I think at peak HP, it lost 10 full HP.  From
what I hear this is a VERY bad modification.  This is do to the effect
Justin was originally wary of, intake of hot air.  I suspect the sound
makes Justin believe that there is more power when there truly isn't.  A
dyno won't lie, and I doubt that a 325 would report gains where the M3 does
not.  OTOH, it may sound "cool" and even look "cool" to some.  Personally,
I would avoid this modification.

Jim Conforti and I have discussed this in the past, so Jim do you have
anything to add?

Bill Bechtold
bbechtol@domain.elided
'89 BMW ///M3