[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Brake Squeal

Chris Pawlowicz recently wrote....

>There is also some goop that you can buy to put on the back of the
>brake pads ( NOT the side that touches the rotors ! ) to damp out any
>vibration between the pads and the calipers.

And Carl Buckland added....

>Chris is quite right.  The "goop" is called CRC Disk Brake Quiet.
>Bob Tunnell advised me recently  (when I was complaining that my Hawk
>Y-5 pads were not only screeching-worse than squealing--but were also
>rattling, due to their lack of centering clips):
<snip>
>It really worked!  No more screech, no more rattle.  The stuff has
>held up for nearly 6 weeks, and now, after a lot of really hard use
>and sustained heat, the pads are finally starting to make noise
>again.  BE SURE to let it set up before installing the brake pads.

Well, now it's time for an update....

After several thousand cross country miles and hundreds of Pro Solo and =
Solo II runs the CRC "goop" has finally lost some of its effectiveness =
and the rattle has returned to one caliper.  But I'm not discouraged -- =
I'm actually quite impressed with how long it lasted under such severe =
conditions.  I'll probably try it again sometime, but first...

At the suggestion of John Broderick (an awesome MR2 Turbo driver who's =
been killing me lately in A/Stock and owner of Mister 2 Performance =
Products) I've recently used a small amount of 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive =
between the pads and caliper piston contact surfaces. <whispering now>  I =
didn't even clean off the CRC stuff first. <G> I just applied the adhesive=
 where I saw shiny metal, let it skin over (about 2 minutes), and =
reassembled.

After about 60 Pro Solo and Solo II runs, and a few hundred street miles, =
still no rattles or squeals.

John also advised, if the squealing is *really* bad, apply a *minuscule* =
amount of lithium grease to all metal-to-metal pad-to-caliper contact =
surfaces.  I haven't done that yet, since the squeal is already gone.

For other great ideas (John is quite an innovator) or products you can =
contact him directly at mr2@domain.elided.

Considering the added stopping power of the Hawk brakes, I for one am =
quite happy to put up with these minor inconveniences. :)

Good luck and have fun,

Bob Tunnell