[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[none]

Whilst driving southeast on a beautiful, empty road in upper NY State
(I-390 from Geneso, just before it hits NY-17 near Avoca), a smokey rose
up on its haunches and pounced from the tall grass. Our all-bands/laser
Valentine went off simultaneously with the beast's roar of lights &
sirens. After bringing us down, the officer claimed my wife was doing 89
mph (aka about 140 klicks in the rest of the world).

Please note that this hunter-killer was not your garden variety Ford
Crown Victoria, but a new-looking 2-door Firebird/Camaro. (I saw 1 of
these in the Catskills, closer to NYC).

1. Is Avoca a known speed-trap?

2. Why did my Valentine give zero warning?
Hyp 1: smokey only pounces on red Canadian bimmers.
Hyp 2: he was using laser - do they use laser in NY State?

3. What words of exculpation should we have used with the officer, and
written on the ticket when we mailed it back?

4. Does my wife get points in Ontario?

5. Am I correct in inferring that my wife got a minor break by being
written up for 89 mph (only 24 over the 65 limit) rather than for 90 (25
over)?

Barry Wellman wellman@domain.elided   1990 325ix