[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<96' and up E36> performance chips

New computers in the 96' and up E36's have chips soldered to the board therefore
making it impossible to remove them and replace them with different ones.  This
is true, however from what I understand the new chips are actually Flash ROM
chips instead of EPROM like the older ones.  This means that instead of having
to replace a stock chip with a tuned chip all that has to be done is
reprogramming the on board Flash ROM chip.  No hardware operation.  Just hook up
some cables in strategic locations and shove some bytes down to the chip.  This
is how AutoThority is approaching it.  Dunno about Dinan and the rest.  This new
way of "chipping" is also not that far from completion from what I understand.

Chris

96' E36 328is Montreal Blue / Gray Leather
Sports Package, 5 Speed, AST, Heated Seats
Alpine / HK Sound