[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Odometer failed - Speedo works

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, jpdavid@domain.elided (John Kordic) wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I have been able to lurking on this list for ages, waiting for
>something to go wrong so I could finally say 'hi'! :)
>
>Anyway, I have a 1985 318i, and the odometer and the trip odometer
>both stopped turning. The speedometer and tach are working.
>Thanks!!!

John, I had the same problem on my 2002tii, except my odometers worked on
and off. They would usually freeze after trip odometer reset.
Speedometer worked OK all the time. As for the tach, it is a purely
electrical device - totally independent from the drivetrain driven
speedo-odo.

The bottom line is the problem is in the speedohead (I take it odometers
are mechanical - not digital). The head receives torque via a tranny
driven cable. The fact that your speedo is working suggests that this part
is functioning OK.

I had a worm gear that "ate" away a piece of the plastic gear it was
supposed to turn! My guess is you have broken or disattached gears. A
self-repair may, or may not be possible in case you need replacemnt parts.

Tp make it short, I replaced my speedo head with one from a wreckyard -
make sure the final drive ratio is the same like on your car.

cheers!

>| John Kordic    | jpdavid@domain.elided   |    //  Amiga!! :( :(       |
>| Fight On USC!  | Go Kings! Go Ducks!  |  \X/  'O Bar E O Meu Lar!' |

                Miro STROMAR, Calgary, Alberta CANADA
                         BMW CCA 132434
                             ______
'95 318i    Montrealblau   o/______\o   e-mail crestest@domain.elided
'73 2002tii Baikalblau     (Oo=00=oO)   Phone 403.253.5695
                            U*----*U