[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Squealing Brakes

>From: "D. Stephen Metz" <dsmetz@domain.elided>
>Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 02:06:27 -0700
>Subject: Squealing Brakes
>
>Hello Fellow Beemsters!
>
>Forgive me if this has been discussed before and I missed it, but...
>I have a '95 318ti which I adore except for one persistent annoyance:
>Squealing Brakes.  The car has only 10,000 miles on it, and none of the
>pads is very worn. I've taken it to the dealer a couple of times
>(Rasmussen BMW - Portland, OR) where they "cleaned and adjusted" the
>brakes, but to no avail.  They say they've had this complaint from
>others, but don't really know what to do about it.
>So I'm wondering if changing the brake pads to another type (metallic or
>not) or another brand moght help.
>Any ideas?
>
>TIA,
>
>D. Stephen Metz  -  '95 Alpine White 318ti  -  Portland. OR

Stephen,

A couple of things come to mind...

1) improper break-in can cause the surface to glaze, leading to squeally brakes

2) the factory used an older version of the Jurid pad that was known to squeal
        -the Jurid 190 is known to squeal below 40F
        -TSB 34 02 94 (4126) calls for replacing the
                caliper mount (2) 34 11 1 163 701
                return spring (2) 34 11 1 163 801
         and lubricating the piston mating surface with
                plastilube        81 22 9 407 103

This info is for the e36 1995 and may not be directly applicable to the e36
318ti, but it should give them a place to start.

I replaced the front pads on our '69 1600ti with Metal Masters.  I was
having horrible squeal.  Bought a tube of Permatex synthetic brake grease
and applied a thin coat to the _back_ of the pad where the piston contacts.
Cleaned the pad surface with a stiff wire brush.  No more squeal.  Looks
like BMW is doing the same thing for e36 brakes.

regards,
        Mike
Kim & Mike Hood-Douda	Raindance Farm  "Goats & BMWs...living
raindance@domain.elided	Lacomb, Oregon   in harmony!"