[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[none]

Just a plug for good tools here. Back when I wuz a Real Mekanik, I
actually bought Snap-On tools. Well, I still do, but not like I used to.
Fact is, high quality sockets and wrenches are less likely to round off
the corners on a bolt or nut than cheaper stuff. Here's why:

1) The sizes are more accurate. Lots of time cheap sockets and wrenches
aren't exactly 13mm or 5/8ths or whatever they're labeled at. They're a
little loose.

2) Snap-On, and some other manufacturers now, use a special design of
sockets and box wrenches that grips the nut/bolt on the flats instead of
the corners, providing lots more turning torque per square inch.

Result: less likely to bugger up stuck nuts or bolts, and lots of time
you can remove nuts/bolts that have already been somewhat rounded
without doing more damage. Frankly, the same thing is true for their
Phillips screwdrivers. Just bought another set, as a matter of fact, for
about the same price as I'd pay for a Dinan suspension <g>...

Bottom line: if you've got a marginal fastener that's REALLY tight, it
might behoove you to pony up for a high-quality (SnapOn or equivalent)
tool to get it off. I know my SnapOn metric 3/8ths sockets are 20 years
old and most of them look brand new. It's an investment for life. A big
investment, yes, but an investment for life <g>....

Finally, if you can't afford a good tool, get a big hurkin cold chisel
and a ballpeen hammer and just wail on it. It WILL turn, then you can
buy another one to replace it with.

Cheers,

John Browne
'76 Snap-On 3/8ths drive metric sockets
'96 Craftsman 1/2" drive metric sockets (engineering goal: let's mark
the sizes on these sockets so they are guaranteed to be unreadable)