[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DETAILING PROBLEMS - NEED HELP

I have a new 96-M3 (Boston Green w/Modena) and had already used Zymol Carbon
on the car.  Went to my local CCA mtg. and two concours winners (Zymol users)
suggested using HD Cleanse to really get the "full effect."  OK, so I went
home and worked on the trunk lid.  I used HD Cleanse and then waxed over
that.  Well, couple of things happened.

First off, I never got the "squeaky clean" sound that they all talked about.
 Secondly, there is cloudiness and immovable streaks throughout the entire
trunk surface.  The weird thing about all of this is that you can only see
the imperfections in certain bright light conditions - but also in my garage
under fluorescents at night.  I live in South Florida and several people
mentioned humidity as a big problem.  Maybe so, but if that’s the cause,
people in Florida would never be able to detail their cars.

The "scratches" and cloudiness were not there or not visible when I first
only used the Carbon.  It was not until I used the HD Cleanse that things
started looking bad.  Since the first incident, I've re-done the trunk about
7 or 8 times (using HD Cleanse & Carbon) without any perceptual change.  I
was told by the customer service people at Zymol that under no circumstances
would HD Cleanse hurt my paint.  They suggested re-doing the trunk and that
it would fix the problem.  P.S.  things are unchanged, maybe even a little
worse.

On a suggestion from my wife, I did the roof and side panels of the car and
they came out beautiful.  No streaks, no marks, just a beautiful dark green
mirror to quote my son.  I also did the hood with HD Cleanse, and it looks
pretty good, expect for one small cloudy spot.  I’m afraid of making it worse
at this point, so I’m trying to learn to live with it.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it possible that the HD Cleanse hurt my new paint?
2. Can I cause damage to the paint my continuing to use the HD Cleanse in the
effected areas?
3. Is there another course of action (and or products) that might diminish or
eliminate the cloudiness and "scratches"?

As a note, I only used 100% cotton towels (no softener), two of which were
Zymol brand towels.  I have also taken the car back to the dealer who agrees
with me that something is not quite right, but really doesn’t know at this
point.  The service manager is contacting the factory rep and they are to
give a second opinion.  In an effort to help, the service manager alluded to
possibly repainting the trunk to make it right.  I’m  hesitant to do that as
it probably won’t match (especially in a few years) and it doesn’t answer the
question as to what caused the problem in the first place.

I am literally afraid to touch the paint.  I have a small stain on the roof
that I used a little HD Cleanse on the other day and it left a cloudy/streaky
effect - the same as the trunk.  And worst of all, it didn’t move the stain
(think it was bird droppings - I need help with that little problem as well).

Frankly, I don’t know what to do with regards to detailing the exterior of
the car.  I thought by using Zymol, I would be safe -- but everything leads
me to believe that somehow it’s hurting the finish.  I know there is a lot
written about Zymol and the products have a fanatical following - maybe it’s
me - maybe I did something in the application to hurt the paint.  I’m really
could use some input - Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Desperately - Stuart M.
96-M3 (Boston Green w/ a terrible looking trunk)