[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E30 brakes?

John Thomas <johnt@domain.elided> writes:
>I just finished installing pads and rotors on my '87 325 last night and
>wanted to ask about the stainless steel allen bolts which hold the
>caliper onto the mounting bracket.  The Bentley manual and the BMW
>manual recommend replacing this bolt whenever you change pads (self
>locking...one use only).  Not the allen which holds the rotor onto the
>hub...
>The first question is do you really replace these every time?  The
>dealer quoted my $20 each...and at 4 on the front end, that's $80 for
>bolts alone?

Yes.  But, they're not $20 each.  This is a problem with the new
computerized parts system.  The old microfiche system had the correct
part number for this bolt.  The new system only shows a part called,
"Guide Pin" (I think) which I think includes this bolt.  But, all you
need is the bolt itself.  I guess they don't specify the bolt since you
get it when you buy the OEM pads.  But, if you don't use OEM pads
(I bought Repco's) or if you need to remove the pads for some other
reason, you still need to replace that small bolt.

The reason they are "self locking...one use only" is that when you torque
them down (check the Bentley manual for the correct torque value), they
actually streach a little.

The correct part number (at least for my '90 325iC) is:

	34-11-1-154-445  Hex Bolt.

My local dealer has a list price of $1.50 each and I got them for $1.17
each with my BMW CCA discount.

           Good luck!
              Larry.
Lawrence R. Schwarcz, Software Design Engr/NCD      Internet:  lrs@domain.elided
Hewlett Packard Company                               Direct:  (408) 447-2543
19420 Homestead Road MS 43LN                            Main:  (408) 447-2000
Cupertino, CA 95014                                      Fax:  (408) 447-2264
Internal-only WWW: http://hpisrhw.cup.hp.com/~lrs/homepage.html
O-
             Copywight (c) 1996 Elmer Fudd.  All wights wesewved.