[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Monterey Historics Cost

> ------------------------------
>
> From: GFOConnor@domain.elided
> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 19:51:46 -0400
> Subject: Monterey Historics
>

> I do have one question that I must pose, however, and I have been wrestling
> with how to phrase it such that it will not seem ungrateful, or cause me to
> sound like another Monday morning quarterback (seeing as I was basically a
> non-participant with respect to organizing of the events).  With that said,
> I'll just blurt it out.  I would personally much prefer to see more in the
> way of lower cost informal gatherings, rather than some of the, shall I say,
> 'higher caliber' activities offered.  Just as an example, a simple barbeque
> lunch with hamburgers/hot dogs/etc. would be of more interest to me than the
> $17 mixed baby greens/etc. lunch that was offered.  Am I perhaps just a low
> life in the minority here?
>
> Gerry O'Connor

	I have been meaning to comment on this, but hadn't gotten around
to it yet.   I felt rather mislead when after filling out and sending in
my corral pack (which indicated that there would be a BBQ lunch and a BMW
sponsored dinner) I received back a form that said that the BMW Hosted
dinner would be $38 a person, the Club dinner would be $45 a person, and
lunch was going to be $17 a person.   Personally, I found these prices to
be way out of my reach (I had to pay for my girlfriends also).  By not
being able to go to these events I felt rather excluded, as there didn't
seem to be a gathering point at the Historic Races itself.   While I
enjoyed the races, I didn't feel that I got to meet very many club
members.  Had I been able to afford the dinners, I feel I would have met
many more.
	A suggestion to the club.   It would have been nice to have had
one of the dinners be affordable, i.e. $15 a person, and then have had a
nice dinner on one of the other nights.   I must say that when I have
noticed that the GGC events are rather expensive (driving schools $265 +
approx $20 for lunch).   The one event I went to with the Portland ACA
was much more affordable, $75 for a lapping day at Portland International
Raceway, which included the fee for both me and my girlfriend, lunch, and
voluntary driving instructors if you asked.

Cary McReynolds
82 320i (probably the most underrepresented model at the Historics)