[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E30 brakes?

I just finished installing pads and rotors on my '87 325 last night and
wanted to ask about the stainless steel allen bolts which hold the
caliper onto the mounting bracket.  The Bentley manual and the BMW
manual recommend replacing this bolt whenever you change pads (self
locking...one use only).  Not the allen which holds the rotor onto the
hub...
The first question is do you really replace these every time?  The
dealer quoted my $20 each...and at 4 on the front end, that's $80 for
bolts alone?

The second question is, I was unable to remove the lower bolt and pivot
the caliper on the upper bolt, so I removed both, set the caliper aside
and removed the pads and rotor.  It appeared impossible to follow the
instructions given, as the bottom of my caliper has a 'key' which slides
into a notch provided on the caliper bracket.  Am I doing this wrong?

One last question, the pads I used are Pagid from Germany which Bavarian
Autosport represented as OEM for my car.  Just one day has brought back
memories of those days...my wheels are already a dingy grey.  Are these
the same as a stock pad?  I usually only see references to Cool Carbons
or Ferodo's or Repco Metalmasters...so, what's the consensus on Pagid?
TIA
- --
john
'87  325 137k (Dinan Chip, Racing Dynamics springs/Billstein shocks)
'94  318i 19k
http://www.hooked.net/users/johnt/bmw.html