[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E28><E34>Power Lock Gremlins

I've been reading a lot recently about central power lock problems of
many different manifestations.  I test drove an '88 535i and when I
went to lock the driver's side door it locked all the doors and then
as I switched the key position back to vertical all the door
unlocked.  If you were real careful you could get the doors to stay
locked.  Major bucks to fix, I figured.

Fast forward to the  '89 535i I purchased.  One of the first things I
checked for was this problem(front end shimmy on hard breaking was
the first thing, thanks all for the info.).  Locks worked like a
charm.  So I bought the car (not really because of the locks). Now
one day about a week later I'm in the parking lot with my daughter in
my arms.  I go to unlock the driver's side door.  All doors unlock except
for the driver's side.  I try again with no luck.  So I put her in
the rear seat lean over and use the handle inside to open the door.

I get home and now the door won't lock.  I can't even physically push
the button down!  So now I can't lock my car!!  The lock gremlins had
gotten me.  So starts the career of a new bimmer (new to me) owner.

After the initial depression I remember something I had read in my
owner's manual.  It is called Lock Resynchronization.  It worked!!  My
lock gremlins were cured and it didn't cost me a dime.  Perhaps most
of you with your own gremlins have attempted this solution but if not
please give it a try before you do anything drastic like replacing
things that don't need to be replaced.

I hope this might help someone.

- -Larry

Larry O. Liberman