[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> 318ti/328i: Perspectives and choices

Exactly six months and 9,774 miles later since taking delivery of my then
new '95 318ti and having recently had a chance to live with a '96 328i for
two days, I have come to some conclusions about the dynamics of these two
vehicles in terms of the marque, similarities and disparities, quirks,
ownership "experience" and "satisfaction" and all those things that the
folks at J.D. Power and other BMW nuts (as Steve Bernstein quoted) care to
postulate and articulate upon.  :)

The 318ti is my first BMW, having driven Hondas and Toyotas all my life
and I have to hand it to BMW NA's marketing strategy which has paid off:
this is definitely the ideal car for the first time BMW owner or for those
who are looking for a second and smaller car [not taking into account the
limited edition Club Sport last year, which has evolved into the Sport
package for the '96].  It has only been in the U.S. for a year but
available in Europe as the Compact (and in three engine sizes) for about
two years now, if I recall.  The 328i, as we all know, is a refinement of
the 325i, which is probably one of the best sports sedans in production
today [not counting the upcoming M3 4-door] judging by the accolades and
awards that the automotive press has bestowed the E36.

While at O'fest, I overheard someone saying that one (of the many) reasons
why people like BMWs is because of the sense of being "one with the car."
(Is this what Luke Skywalker felt with the "force?" <g>)  Whether you're
going flat out on the track (I'll leave that to the pros here to comment
on that) or a leisure drive, it's the same thing- the car instills a sense
of confidence and (hopefully, satisfaction) regardless of how you drive.
Hence, whether it's a E30, E36, E28, etc., they all "ultimate driving
machines."

Obviously, the 318ti and the 328i are in two different classes: one's
~$24k and the other's ~$35k.  The difference in price buys a lot: a larger
body, bigger engine, better suspension, creature comforts, etc. After two
days of living with the 328i, I've fell in love with the power seats of
the base 328i, the automatic digital climate control system, the lights!
(it's like a B747 jumbo jet with all those displays!) and all the other
features that make a 328i a 328i. But the most noticeable difference is
definitely the power of the smooth inline six and how quiet the interior
is compared to the 318ti's 4-cylinder.  The loaner 328i had an automatic
and frankly, for my purpose and application, the auto does a darn good
job.  I'm sure the 5-speed would really be something!

Reliability, quirks, glitches, etc.  While I'm sure BMW love to match
Lexus's records for being practically flawless, it's inevitable that
glitches and problems do happen.  However, I am somewhat disappointed to
read about all the issues that E36 owners (from '92 on) have reported on
their cars be it dash separations, squeaky door panels, electrical
problems, windshield seals, and the list goes on.  You've also seen some
of the posts from the 318ti owners (myself included) on the quirks that
the car has (A/C valve noise, door pillars peeling, etc.).  As another
318ti wrote to me via email, "BMW owners will tend to be more anal about
their cars than Buick owners."  I agree -- if I spend $25K or even $35K
car for a car, you expect it be what a $35K car is -- (almost) perfect.

A part of me was sad to give the 328i loaner back and the other part
wanted me trade in the 318ti the next day <grin> but reality won in the
end; I'm happy with the 318ti for what it is (a BMW!) and in about four or
five years when I'm ready for a larger car (and ready for the "family"
thing), then no doubt I'll be looking at an E36/E46 or maybe a 5'er. :)

 David Tay <tsr@domain.elided>  BMW CCA #130574, '95 E36 318ti
 Tay Systems Research            CompuServe: 74213,2471
 3554 Chain Bridge Rd., #100     Tel. 703/760-9022
 Fairfax, VA 22030-2709, USA     Fax. 703/893-1154