[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36><M3> Noises

M3...

Yo, Jim, I feel your pain dude!  Bummer!  (Sorry, this started after moving to
California...)

Seriously, though, I feel a vibration through the steering wheel at some
engine speeds.  It is OK with me.  I assume this is the result of BMW
engineering in the directly connected feel we like (UDM), instead of an
isolated rubbery feeling that other manufacturers may choose to engineer in to
some of their sedans.  My mother-in-laws like her Lincoln, I do not.  A drive
rather than ride kind of thing.

And, my differential clanks a bit when changing gears carelessly.  I assume
(hope) this is the limited slip mechanism working in the differential.  I'd
prefer less noise here, it reminds me of excessive clearances / slop, oh well.
Maybe the Inspection I LSD fluid change will minimize this.

Someone (was it you Jim???) posted earlier that you can expect things like
this, since the M3 is a "high performance" car.  This may be normal or
evidence of a problem based on the noise level.  Know any good independent BMW
technicians near your home?

Michael Wylie
Novato, California
'95 ///M3, 10/94 production, 8,900 miles  (pop, buzz, clink, zoom!)