[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Monterey Historics

Like Jerry Chyo, I too have been going to the annual Vintage races at Laguna
Seca for ten or fifteen years and found this year's celebration of the BMW
marque to be outstanding.  I would have to agree that there was as much, if
not more to enjoy in the corral and paddocks as there was on the track (not
to detract from those of you who might have had the opportunity to get out
there and give it a go on the corkscrew).

I will add one more heartfelt thanks to those responsible for organizing the
week's BMW related events.  Time constraints unfortunately kept me from
participating in as many of those events as I might have liked, but thanks
just the same.  The Motorsport Fascination book from BMW NA was a nice
surprise, and, as always, the corral parking provides a tremendous
convenience factor on top of the feeling of comraderie.

I do have one question that I must pose, however, and I have been wrestling
with how to phrase it such that it will not seem ungrateful, or cause me to
sound like another Monday morning quarterback (seeing as I was basically a
non-participant with respect to organizing of the events).  With that said,
I'll just blurt it out.  I would personally much prefer to see more in the
way of lower cost informal gatherings, rather than some of the, shall I say,
'higher caliber' activities offered.  Just as an example, a simple barbeque
lunch with hamburgers/hot dogs/etc. would be of more interest to me than the
$17 mixed baby greens/etc. lunch that was offered.  Am I perhaps just a low
life in the minority here?

Again, no disrespect intended for those who worked so hard to put things
together.  I know the correct answer to my question is to participate more
myself, but I just thought I'd throw it out for discussion.

If this is too far removed from the list's technical focus for some, we can
take it to e-mail, but I think it's an appropriate topic here.

Gerry O'Connor
Manhattan Beach, CA
'83 633 CSi
'72 2002 tii