[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ignition key problems

Yesterday I tried to start my '96 328i. After inserting the key, it
simply turned around freely. I could spin in around as many times as I
pleased without starting the car. Finally, after some fiddling with the
steering wheel and the key itself, the key "caught", returned to its
normal stiff operation and the car started. I took it to the dealer,
where I was informed I would need a new cylinder assembly. They say it
takes four weeks because it must be coded in Germany to match my car's
security code. As far as I'm concerned, that pretty much sucks. I
expressed my concern that one day the car may not start at all, but they
assure me it can always be made to work with a little tinkering--notably
playing with the steering wheel (which presumably does something with
the steering lock). Has anyone else had this problem, and lived with it
for four weeks without getting stranded? I've had this car for three
months and it is quickly turning into the most frustrating auto
experience of my life--strange whistling noises at high speeds
(windshield about to be replaced), faulty climate control systems (fixed
after a three-week wait for part), faulty speakers (one replaced),
squeaky door seals (partly solved with ugly Teflon tape), various other
minor problems and now this. I can only hope the next three months are
better.

David Toole