[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:<02> Speedo Problems

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, xylocopa@domain.elided (Eric Barnes) wrote:

>- -BMW Friends
>
>I was driving over the Bay Bridge this morning in my fairly clean '76 <02>
>and looked down at the speedo and wasn't working!  I'm just starting to see
>some of the other gauges (temperature specifically) flicker because of bad
>grounding.  But my big question to all you is; How can I tell if this is a
>bad ground or the cable is broken?
>
>Thanks for the help!
>- -E
>
>Eric Barnes

Eric,

2002 speedo is a mechanical instrument and uses no electical connections,
other than for illumination. It could be that some of the gears are worn
out. I saw a 2002 speedo wherein worm gear "ate" away teeth on the gear it
was supposed to turn. The worm gear was spininning inside the cavity it
created! Perhaps a trip to a wreckyard could help.

Hope this helps,

Miro

                Miro STROMAR, Calgary, Alberta CANADA
                         BMW CCA 132434
                             ______
'95 318i    Montrealblau   o/______\o   e-mail crestest@domain.elided
'73 2002tii Baikalblau     (Oo=00=oO)   Phone 403.253.5695
                            U*----*U