[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<M3> Weight Removal

John Browne said:

"All that said, if you really want to improve performance, skip adding
horsepower. You've got a good platform to work from. Start removing
weight. The only reason a Formula Ford can get around Laguna Seca faster
than your M3 is weight. There's lots of weight available for removing on
your M3..."

FWIW, I removed the spare tire and jack from the back of my M3 and noticed
the same difference in handling and rear ride height as in the difference
between a full and empty fuel tank.  I carry one of those tire inflator
cans in place of the tire now, doubt I'll ever have to use it, but just in
case...

Speaking of fuel levels, with the stock M3 suspension I always attempted
to have a full tank to minimize the "push" or forward weight shift.  Now,
with H&Rs, I try to keep the tank (almost) empty to try to unload the rear
wheels a bit.  Seems to help...

Michael Wylie
Novato, California
'95 ///M3