[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

'84 325E Speedometer Problems

Hi Everyone :
   I'm looking for advice relative to a problem i'm experiencing with the
speedometer on my '84 325E. The symptoms are the  speedo remains dead whenever
the car is first started, then it engages very erratically for the first 10-15
minutes of operation, afterwhich it *usually* stabilizes and works properly
although there's no guarantee of it. The condition is aggrivated by mechanical
shock (drive over bumps or tap the plastic-facia with knuckles), so I assume
the problem is localized to the guage assembly and is not a remote-sensor
issue.

 I'm wondering whether this is a relatively common failure among aged BMWs with
high milage (mine has 256K miles) and whether anyone could offer any advice
before I go ferreting around! Can this be related to a battery (??) on the
circuit board? What sorts of things should I check?

Thanks much!!
Doug Caswell