[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

535i stereo considerations

Just bought an '89 535i with the stock speakers front/rear, and an Alpine
CD player in dash, and I'd like to upgrade the system. I've got a powered
subwoofer (Bazooka 8" w/ 40 watts RMS) I can put in, but I'm told by a
seemingly reputable car stereo shop that I would get "lousy results" with
this sub in this car (too much metal in the way or no direct path for sound
to the car interior).  BTW - I'm also planning to add a decent power amp to
better drive the stock speakers. Anyone have any experience installing a
powered sub in this car? Any tricks to help it sound better? Anyone in the
south Bay Area who does good work on these cars??

Their (more expensive) suggestion: add a free air sub with separate amp,
cut a hole in the rear panel and finish with a BMW grill ala the side
grills already in the back. Showed me some pictures of an M3 done this way,
and it looks aok. I assume it would sound good.

Finally, the music is mostly rock (not the real modern stuff), a little
jazz, some classical. And not played at ear-bursting levels very often.

Thanks!