[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

540i vs 528i

I was wondering what the mechanical differences were between the new 540i
and the 528i.  Does the 540 have the aluminium suspension?  I heard that
some components were replaced with steel because of the heavier weight of
the engine.  It also seems a pity that the 540 has to use recirculating
ball instead of rack and pinion steering, also for weight reasons.

The 540i is something like 150 pounds heavier than the Mercedes-Benz E420,
which has almost the same sized engine (4.2L vs 4.4L), is longer, and does
not have a nice light aluminium suspension.  The 528i, on the other hand,
is quite light for its size.  Is it because the BMW V8 engine is
significantly heavier than the Mercedes'?

Does anyone know if BMW plans to fix these deficiencies at a later date, so
the 540 will ride as well as the 528, be a little faster, and a little more
fuel efficient?