[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E12> gas milage, hood latch

Hi all-

Just returned from a two week vacation and have
finished reading ALL of the back digests (something
like ~80!).  Thought I would share the results of a
rather long drive that I took, perhaps someone out
there is collecting this type of data.

I took the '81 528i from Troy, NY to Reston, VA,
approximately 400 miles of all highway driving
with approx ~45 minutes stuck in construction
traffic (gee, I love New Jersey ;).  Filled up the gas
tank before leaving, and didn't have to refill until
I got there.  My calculated gas milage is thus a
whopping 27 mpg!  I was rather impressed with
this result since I don't even know the last time
this car had a decent tune-up.

I have a question for all of the E12 owners out there,
do any of you know the correct method for adjusting
the hood latch so that you don't have to slam it
about 100 times before it closes?  The Haynes
manual mentions something about an alignment hole,
but haven't had a good look yet.  I tried manually
sliding the latch up and down (shooting in the
dark really!), and have lubricated all respective
parts.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated
as this has become the number one most frustrating
little pain in the #$%#$%#.

Happy motoring all-

Ryon
'81 528i
'95 VW Golf (which gets ~37 mpg on the highway :)

P.S.  Thanks to Eric Adair for the power window advice,
all four windows now working perfectly!