[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Supercharged M3

I've had the Dinan supercharger kit installed on my 95 3.0 L M3 for about 2
mos. now , and it has performed exceptionally. 341 hp is more than adequate,
but the speed bug has already bitten. I want more power, and I've got a number
of ideas and quite a few questions.

1. The supercharger as geared only reaches about 6.2 pounds of boost at the
6750 redline. The Powerdyne supercharger in the kit can only spin fast enough
to produce 9 lbs. of boost.The M3 engine can only handle about 7 lbs of boost
before it starts to ping and detonate. To raise the boost higher low
compression pistons would have to be installed, and low rpm driveability would
be sacrificed. I also don't want to spend that kind of money on top of what
I've already spent.  I want to know if the supercharger could be geared to
produce 8 lbs. of boost at a 7100 rpm redline with a wastegate installed to
start blowing air at 6.5 lbs. of boost. Would the higher gearing draw more
power from the engine and cancel out any benificial effects, or would the
gearing have little effect on the amount of power that the supercharger draws
from the engine? How would torque be affected across the whole powerband?

2. How could an intercooler be installed? A small intercooler could be
squeezed between the SC and the throttle body, and a NACA duct could be cut in
the hood to provide insulation. A intercooler could be mounted near the bottom
of the car, or an intercooler could be mounted behind one of the front air
ducts. The last two options evolve elaborate tubing with multiple twists and
bends that could result in a loss of pressure, but they could accomadate a
more efficient intercooler.

3. The engine internals could be altered. i.e. low compression to increase
boost or stroker. This is more money than I'm willing to spend, but the gains
would be large.

Changing the gearing on the supercharger voids the warranty. Dinan won't give
me a straight answer when I ask them if they're working on any further
developments. I just want some small gains for relatively small money.

Who is this Jim C. guy? What do I need to do to get in touch with him? I want
a chip with a 7100 rpm redline in all forward gears. I hardly ever operate the
car at redline, but when I do the 6750 redline is just a bit restrictive. I
bounce off it quite often under hard acceleration. I'd like to shift at about
6750 when I'm punching it.

Is it possible to install the European six speed transmission? Is it possible
to change the final drive ratio to 3.23 like the 3.2 liters or even higher
(3.3)? What would cost be?

How much do the aluminum doors off of the M3 LTW cost?

- -bdurgert