[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Window switches

<...would  replacing the existing switches with the 'one touch'  work the
same way in an '87 325is?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.>

    I bought E36 switches for my '88 E30 in the hopes that I could adapt
them.  I like the look and feel of the rocker-microswitches, as opposed to
the dual-pushbuttons.  Alas, the connectors and pins are of different
configurations; there are four round E36 pins vs the five flat E30 pins, and
both types are lighted.  I tried cross-referencing the pins using an ohmmeter
and E30 wiring diagram, but went into mental overload when I started getting
differing resistances for certain combos of E36 pins.  I gave up at this
point-- the electrical risk wasn't worth the aesthetics.  (This was before I
could find any E36 manuals.  I may retry.)

    In addition, if you still want to take the time and effort to convert,
the E36 switches are slightly bigger, and contoured to fit the curve of the
E36 console.  (I don't remember if I looked at any *rear* door switches for
contour, though.)

    BTW, this is not a plug, just a fact:  a few months ago Rodd Sidney was
advertising a one-touch relay for E30 and E28 window switches.  The product
literature he read to me wasn't clear as to whether it worked in "up" as well
as "down", or on how many windows it would work.  For the $80 (as I recall),
I would hope it works in more than one direction and on more than one window.
 Anyone tried it??

Happy switching,
Gary T
'87 535i,  '88 325is