[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re:Assorted 1600 problems

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, van den Heuvel, Cameron wrote:

>2) My driver's side window (ie. right window) will wind down but not up.
>Has anyone experienced a similar problem?  I know nothing about the window
>mechanism and am stuck.  One tthing I did notice with the door trim removed
>is that there was a big spring-like bit of metal lying in the bottom of the
>door.  Should
>this be attached to something?

This is a bummer!

I take it you have already removed the door panel.

Pull the glass up and have your helper hold it;
remove the winding handle - first pull out the plastic cover, then unscrew
it.

Now remove the three bolts arround the splined crank shaft with a 10mm
wrench - carefull there are washers and lock washers;

push the splined shaft inwards until the shaft can be pushed downwards.
Carefully push it downwards and towards front of the car.

The other end of the bar will slide forward until it reaches the round end
of slot. Slide your hand behind it and push the roller towards interior side
of the door.

The whole crank assembly should be free now and "fall' down. Examine.
Chances are a little shaft or bolt holding a 5" bar is broken.

Replace with a new assembly if you can find one - or improvise!

And to replace the spring - refer to the other side, or a picture.

Hope this helps - I did it thursday evening!

                Miro STROMAR, Calgary, Alberta CANADA
                         BMW CCA 132434
                             ______
'95 318i    Montrealblau   o/______\o   e-mail crestest@domain.elided
'73 2002tii Baikalblau     (Oo=00=oO)   Phone 403.253.5695
                            U*----*U