[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 new-style gear knob

Greetings all,

I've just been lucky enough to visit BMW Munich and brought back some
'toys' for my 1994 318iA, one of which is a new-style 5 series type gear
knob for the automatic tranmission shift.

I understand this is the new gear shift they will be using in the
soon-to-be-released newest/last variant of the E36 along with it's updated
nose grill.

Unfortunately, due to its different style (round knob vs 'L' shape), the
installation involves the changing of the gear shaft (which I have also
obtained), but I haven't the foggiest how one can change this.

I have disassembled the console (gear shift surrounds only as suggested by
a German BMW technician) and can see the existing shaft reaching into the
gearbox, but without any clear signs of how it can be reached.

Would anybody out there have any experience in this area please?

Thanking you in advance.

TC Chan

P.S. Please respond to my eMail <tcchan@domain.elided>. I'll summarize and
submit your responses.