[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E-28 Speedometer Dead

The speedometer has gone dead on my '85 535i.  Apparently related
is a fuel economy/vacuum gauge problem.  Both worked
intermittently and together, then the speedo gave up and the
vacuum gauge now operates only at extremes, usually zero.

I've heard the ni-cad batteries might be at fault.  They are
putting out about 2.4 volts -- apparently about right.

Don't know if it could be related, but the problem started about
the time a new windshield leaked badly, soaking the pads under
the carpet and the wiring down there.

I know this is a broad question, but does anyone have any tips on
what I should check?

Also, there's a connector behind the instrument cluster that was
lose when I first took the cluster out.  I can't find where it
should plug in.  It's one of two small connectors there, attached
to two wires coming out of the bundle that goes into the blue
connector.  It's probably obvious, but I haven't found it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Parsons
Baytown, Texas