[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Digest Format

I am in a bit of a quandry and need your suggestions.

I am perhaps more engaged in computers (and other things such as my career)
than in the ins and outs of owning a BMW.   I like the idea of a resource
for questions I have regarding my 320i, but find that it takes several
hours a week to skim through the many posts that arrive daily.

Any good email program will filter posts by keywords ie:
<bmw-digest@domain.elided> and put all those posts to one mailbox.
This way, one can immediately see by reviewing the subject listings, which
posts are of interest and which can be tossed summarily.   As it now
stands, digest appears to be the only option.  (I tried to find the
archives but only got references to un/subscribing, lists of other lists,
but no archive access.  As it was, instructions suggested that archives
were to be accessed by indicating the version and no. desired.  Not much
help when what I need is to search for posts regarding say: 320 heater
problems.

What this boils down to is that:

I just don't have the time to browse through the digests.  If I could
receive the discussion list as individual posts, I would opt for that.

If I am missunderstanding how to access the archives via the web, please
straighten me out.

P.S.  Between writing this post and sending it, I've been skimming over
several weeks of old digests.  One posts suggests splitting the list into
two: maintenance and chat.  I don't think you can separate the two as most
people want to engage both aspects, business and socialization from time to
time.  By having a non-digest format, one could choose to read or avoid the
lite stuff (often identified in the subject line as "fluff" or "off topic")
and pick out just those "maintenance" subjects that interest them.

P.P.S.  Whether individual posts or digest form, a well written "subject"
is important.