[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 320i motor removal

Keith Turner asked about E21 320i motor removal:

I did that fix in '93 with a '78, rebuilding the bottom end and
replacing the head assembly (swapped from a low-miles motor).  The old
motor had spun a bearing, turning the crankshaft into a 50 pound boat
anchor and ruinating (I'm in the Deep South he-ah.) the rod.

You will curse yourself if you leave the tranny in.
    1: The tranny rear seal or shifter rod seal is leaking oil. I'll
lay money on it with an "experienced" transmission. They are easily
replaced with the trans on the ground.  Removal is fairly easy compared
to, say, a 2002, which was assembled by people with little hands (like
me) because they had a six-cylinder five-speed planned when the 3er was
designed in the early '70's.
    2: Reinstalling the motor is a bitch with a tranny in place.  Ask
me how I know ('77 320i last month).   Then duck.  :o

thi v.
'77 320i 5-speed convert
'87 325i 4-dr Newly installed motor, unknown electrical gremlins
'87 325is dad's toy
Spare parts for '02, E21, some 325i motor parts.  Try me.