[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re <2002> trunk mount battery

Jonathan writes about  how to mount his battery in his trunk. First off, mine
been in the trunk for 10years. Try to find bulk OO/ or OOO welding cable for
the positive cable, its much more bendable and it of bigger size to
compensate for the longer run of wire. Run the positive cable inside the car
with grommets whenever the wire goes thru metal (a short here could fry the
car). On my car I ran it along the driver side sill under the carpet over the
pedal assembly and out thru the firewall just above the starter. Ground the
battery in the trunk, I used the unused shoulder strap fitting on the under
side of the package tray but any real clean solid spot will work. BE SURE the
ground straps between motor and frame are in good shape under the hood. It
would be wise to check all the ground under the hood at this time. A good
marine case will hold the battery but have a good way to secure the case in
the trunk, Angle iron , straps or whatever but make sure it would move
around. It's a good idea to have it so that you can slide it out a little for
maintance so leave some extra length to the cables. A welding shop will also
have the right fitting for the cable ends, then just use wing nut battery
posts to hook up the cables.
Good luck

                                            Greg Mierz
                                     GregM2002@domain.elided