[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E28> No run/start no fuel pump

I'm working on a 83 528e that was towed to my house after failing to start
for a friend. Initial diagnosis was no fuel pump signal. Did the Bently
troubleshooting that showed me the wiring is ok, grounded terminal 20 to
ground at the wiring connector and fuel pump runs. Hook it up to Motronic box
and no fuel pump. I now believe Motronic box is bad otherwise fuel pump
should run. Am I correct??? This car has been the victim of poor maintance,
the O2 sensor has 160K on it. It came to me once with plugs so bad I couldn't
believe it ran. Prior to the complete failure to run/start is ran ok
sometimes then like it was very rich other times according to the owner.
Could the lack of O2 sensor signal for a long time kill the Motronic box??

My plan is to have owner get another Motronic box so that the fuel pump will
work and then see if it will start. At least we should have fuel pump then so
it might start. It has spark, its been checked out. Meanwhile this weekend, I
plan to clean as many electrical connectors as possible to eliminate the
corrosion of time. Is there any thing else that could have caused a Motronic
failure I should look for??

TIA fellow digesters, I hope some of you are home this weekend instead of at
the Historics.

                                            Greg Mierz
                                     GregM2002@domain.elided
                                         Roster Manager