[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

530 & 540

I agree that I will not touch one of these cars (since I can only afford 5ers
with 100k+ miles) used, but most people out there will not know any better.
In low sulfur areas, it shouldn't make any difference anyways. Just watch out
if Consumer Reports or Edmunds User Car Guide, etc starts publishing this
data. Then 25% of the people will know.

The explanation I heard was the the Aluminum cylinders are coated with
Nikasil (since Al is soft and Nikasil it not), but sulfur byproducts will eat
the Nikasil.

The new 528i is using the iron block in the US (Al in europe) and I am not
sure what they did to the 540i (with the 4.4l V8).

Chris Guy - BMW535i86@domain.elided
86 535i 5sp
Denver, CO

E28 Home Page - http://members.aol.com/BMW535i86