[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Aluminum Block V-8 BMW's vs. Sulfur Content of U.S. Fuel

I think I have heard just about everything now.  BMW blaming the high (?)
sulfur content of U.S. fuel for premature V-8 engine failure is highly
suspect.  This reeks about as badly as Audi's claim that the runaway car
syndrome was due to operator error.

BMW simply screwed up in the formulation of the aluminum for the V-8
block.  Evidently BMW did little or no testing with the fuel formulas
used in the United States.  If they had done the long term testing that
domestic manufacturers (U.S.) have carried out for many years, BMW should
have easily detected the premature failure of the V-8 engine block.

I would love to purchase a 540i, but I won't touch one with a ten foot
pole right now.  I'm not sure what BMW is up to, but it sure as hell
isn't customer satisfaction.  Warranty extensions (100K, is that all?)
and reprogramming the computer (so the engine runs hotter--sounds like
they're eradicating a virus, gets worse gas mileage -- EPA are you
listening?, and is SLOWER!) sounds like a kluge to me.

So, for now I wait.  Good luck to those that currently own V-8 5's.  I
certainly hope that you are able to get some measure of satisfaction from
BMW-NA.

RKB