[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: DIY Paint Experiences

Barry,

I have done the same thing for a few cars.  The first was a beige
Landcruiser (my younger 4x4 days) and the finished product was very good.
 Get a book or some information on spraying portions of panels.  There is
an art to this.

The second time I did it was to my beloved 78 320i.  The color was that
Anthrocite Gray with some flakes in it.  It was really tough getting the
same shine and depth as the rest of the car.  I must have sprayed and
resprayed 5 times (with numerous wet sanding and rubbing done in between).
 It still didn't turn out as good as the rest of the panels (although most
people couldn't tell the difference, I could).  If your car is a light
solid color you shouldn't have a hard time.  If you have a darker color and
want the same depth of color as the rest of the car, it might be a good
idea to let the pros do it (after you have given it a shot first).

I hope everything turns out okay.

Jerry Chyo