[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DIY: Paint Experiences

I'm performing rust control on my 633CSi.  It didn't look bad at all:  Just
a couple of tiny spots with rust bubbling through.  But upon removal of the
fenders, more rust has been found.  (If you think your 6-er's front fenders
look fine, look again.)  This is going to require some paint.

The body shop said $300 to spray the paint (no body work).  Local auto
paint suppliers said minimum of $120 for the necessary paint, hardeners,
reducers, primers, etc. (Plus a $300 compressor and paint gun.)  I'm
painting less than 6 sq. inches of exposed fender, for chrissake!  They all
rolled their eyes at the mere mention of using spray-can primers and
undercoating.

AFTER purchasing a nice 4HP DeVilbiss compressor, touch-up gun and
accessories for a cool $300, I decided to call my local Bumper-to-Bumper
franchise.  They didn't give me major attitude, didn't snort openly at my
non-professional status, and, most importantly - they offered to put
custom-mixed DuPont acrylic lacquer (same as the body shops use) into a
12oz. spray can, pre-mixed and ready to spray, for $11.  Eleven bucks!
Problem *solved*.

I'm returning the unused compressor and spray gun today.  I'll let you know
how it goes with spray-can primer and undercoating.

Barry
'83 633CSi  (sold my 325e  :(